The beginning of a great story
The company started in 1939 when Mr. Léo Séguin acquired the ferry boat linking Montebello and Lefaivre. At that time, the ferry boat with gate had the capacity to transport three vehicules, and the crossing cost 50 cents.
Mr. Eugène Bourbonnais
In 1947, Mr. Eugène Bourbonnais purchased the Montebello ferry service.
First ferry boat made of steel
In 1960, Mr. Eugène Bourbonnais built his first ferry boat made of steel, which could hold eight automobiles, a first in the region.
In 1963, together with Mr. Hector Bourgeois, Mr. Eugène Bourbonnais purchased the Masson-Cumberland ferry service from the Lamarche brothers, André and Achille.
Some years later, in 1968, Maurice, Eugène Bourbonnais' son, quit his job as a police officer in the Sûreté du Québec, to go into business. He purchased his father's shares and became responsible of managing the business with Hector Bourgeois.
2nd ferry boat
In 1969, the company added a second ferry boat to better meet the needs of a growing clientele.
Maurice Bourbonnais, new owner
In 1975, Maurice Bourbonnais purchased Mr. Bourgeois' shares and became sole owner.
Les Ateliers Maurice Bourbonnais Ltée
1977 marks the founding of "Les Ateliers Maurice Bourbonnais Ltée". This new company specializes in the construction and maintenance of ferry boats.
A third ferry boat is added to the fleet
Innovation in 1978: a third ferry boat is added to the existing fleet. This ferry boat enables vehicules to enter from one extremity and to exit from the other, which greatly accelerates the efficiency of its service.
Installation of an air-bubbling system
The installation of an air-bubbling system in 1982, up to 1987, enables the ferry boats to ply between the two banks 24 hours a day, 12 months a year. Afterwards, this system was replaced by two icebreakers, which maintain and keep open the channel throughout the winter months.